Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Increase short-life supply with Vacuum seal jars



A few years ago, Wendy DeWitt (an awesome Food Storage guru--she has lots of videos on youtube.com) came to our ward and showed us how to preserve things in Mason or Kerr jars that normally can't be put in #10 cans. For examples chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, Halloween Candy, cake mixes (take them out of the box and poke a small hole in the bag before putting them in the jar), Macaroni and cheese (again take them out of the box) etc. in glass jars. You can also preserve dehydrated food for a longer time when you put them in glass jars and suck the air out.
I have been using this way to preserve things I buy on sale for about 3-4 years. Here is a short example:

A while ago, I found Chocolate Chips on sale at Fry's for $1.00 per bag. I
bought about 40 bags! In order to preserve them for a year or more,
I put two bags in a quart jar and sucked the air out of them with a foodsaver and attachment.




You can buy a Food Saver and attachments for both a regular mouth jar and the wide mouth jar. . I got my attachments from Amazon.com. You can buy Food Savers on e-bay. Just make sure it has the port to attach the tube.


PLEASEEEEE watch the video below if you want to learn how to do this. This is Wendy DeWitt. Awwwweeeesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment