Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Canning chicken stock

If you have ever read Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon, you may remember how nourishing different broths and soup stocks are. I only use them occasionally because I don't always take the time to make stock. Wellllllll, I was going through my totally full freezer the other day and I found 3 -4 chicken carcasses (the bones). I save them after we get the rotisserie chickens (one of my "I don't want to cook" meals). I simmered the bones over night in a big stock pot covered with lots of water. After it cooked a long time, I strained it twice and put it in canning jars and PRESSURE canned it for 25 minutes for pints and 30 minutes for quarts at 11 lbs (I'm in AZ). Now I will be able to use it when I need it. I felt pretty handy!! I ended up with 7 pints and one quart.

No comments:

Post a Comment